Malise and the Machine - Public Demo Release
We're proud to present the first public demo for Malise and the Machine!
You can download the demo at the following address: https://mega.nz/#!TZkBkDxL!jTmJD0kWaptB0yGH69CPM_plEqnJrGJo0rnZckQ6jzE
NOTE: The above link has been updated to the V0.0352 hotfixed version released on February 18, 2016.
Remember, this demo is meant to be shared! Share it, post it, seed it, stream it, whatever!
Malise and the Machine utilizes the RPG Maker VX Ace engine. To play, you must install the RPG Maker VX Ace RTP (run time package), which you can download and install for free from http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/download/additional/run-time-packages (click the blue button at the bottom of the page to download).
It's highly recommended that the first time you start the game you make a critical adjustment to the RPG Maker VX Ace settings to vastly improve performance of the game. To do this, press F1 after launching the game, then in the window that appears uncheck 'Reduce Screen Flickering', and then select OK.
Additional tips for improving performance if you find the game runs slow for you:
Play in windowed mode! RPG Maker's fullscreen mode is very inefficient, and we plan on eventually writing an improved version.
Well, the above is about it for this release. We had ways to toggle off some effects that can affect performance, however we've removed them so that they can be consolidated into a universal 'Performance Mode' which will be available in future versions.
Here are the recommended hardware specs for the game to be able to achieve a consistent 30 FPS:
Intel Core2Duo @ 2.4 GHz
4 GB RAM
512 MB Video RAM
AltairPL has completely rewritten and overhauled the menu and title screen. We've designed it to improve functionality, performance, and to facilitate future system mechanics. The following are some of the changes made:
- Rewrote the various menu scenes and related code to improve transitions and performance.
- Replaced the 'Skills' menu with the 'Tetra' menu. You can inspect skills and items that are equipped to your characters' various Tetra panels (the command panels shown in battle) from this menu. While using an ARIS unit, you can equip new skills and items as well as change their positions on the Tetra panels. Note that skills can no longer be used outside of battle.
- Added armor damage icons to the menu and Status menu. Sections of these icons transition from white to orange as a character takes damage. Once a section of the armor is orange, it can be broken by certain enemy skills if the character's lust is high enough. Broken armor sections are shown in red.
- Gear can now be changed in the Equip menu. Note that the Body slot can only be accessed while using an ARIS unit.
- Redesigned and activated ARIS unit menu.
- Added a new entry to the Options screen to change the layout of the menu between 'Side' and 'Centered' layouts.
- Improved menu scene transition animations.
- Menu elements are now mirrored and symmetrical between the two characters.
- Added color coded icons for equipment and items.
- Redesigned list windows to use "tiles" that show an object's icon, name, and additional parameters based on the object type.
- Improved equipment list display conditions.
- Added icons to denote if a character has a certain piece of gear equipped.
- Added dynamic control notes to the bottom of various menu scenes.
- Added scrollbar functionality to list windows.
- Improved the layout and design of every menu scene.
- Added various confirmation prompts for Save/Load/Options scenes.
- Improved wallpaper background to remove banding and fix visibility issues for elements on the lower portion of the screen.
- Improved particle effect behavior and performance.
The following are some examples of performance improvements since V0.03 using AltairPL's PC as a test rig. Note that the FPS cap has been increased to 120 for these tests:
Main Menu: 90 FPS -> 120 FPS
Load Screen: 77 FPS -> 82 FPS
Save Screen: 88 FPS -> 98 FPS
Item Screen: 85 FPS -> 120 FPS
Status Screen: 60 FPS -> 105 FPS
- Malise has been added to the Access Tunnels content for the Public Demo. She doesn't affect the story/dialog, but is compatible with all enemies' H attacks.
- Rebalanced enemies for a party of two characters.
- Chest rewards have changed for the public demo.
- Significantly improved battle performance. A comparison test on AltairPL's rig shows an improvement of ~20 FPS from V0.03 (~70 FPS up to ~90 FPS).
- Added pause graphics for both the battle and map scenes.
- Enemy skills that summon spawns/appendages now have a unique skill name (for the Fleshfather, the 'Constrict' skill has been renamed to 'Tentacle') to differentiate it from the initial H skill that the spawn or appendage itself uses.
- Improved various mechanics related to enemy spawns/appendages.
- Added ARIS unit graphics for Malise.
- Controllers are supported once again.
- Pressing the Up arrow key while selecting a target will now confirm the action usage.
- Pause can now be assigned to a controller button.
- Changed 'Swap Character' key from 'C' to 'S' (for changing character graphics during the map scene).
- Added a 'Quick Swap' feature for quickly trading turns in battle. Pressing the 'S' key will cancel out of any process and immediately trade turns with the opposite character, under the condition that her turn is ready.
- Item names are now highlighted in dialog and in loot messages.
- Removed content from V0.02 and prior. No worries, this content will make a reappearance later in an improved form.
- Added various system and script related mechanics to facilitate future features.
- Fixed a bug where pausing during dialog scenes would cause some abnormal behavior.
- Fixed a bug where enemy spawns/appendages would sometimes initialize incorrectly, causing them to lose a turn.
- Fixed a glitch that could result in the wrong pose being displayed for a character during the battle victory scene.
- Fixed a discrepancy between displayed HP and HP recovered during character revival.